Our dogs and cats fill our homes with laughter, love and ..ahem, fur, chewed slippers, broken furniture and more. They just fit perfectly in our crazy world and become a part of our routine. But as we go about life together, we face new situations that need a bit of adjusting to. We want our pets to enjoy all these new things together with us. To welcome a change with a wagging tail or a cute little meow, just like they welcome us each time we walk through the door.
Many times we see people give up on their pets when such new changes come up. When their new pup won’t get along with their old cat. Or when their old dog won’t get along with their baby. Or often when they have to move to a new city and they see too much traveling and temporary living ahead. Sometimes pet parents even abandon their pets in the middle of nowhere. petrapeutics® is all about embracing the new and we urge you to never give up on your pets. There are ways to go about these changes and make it easy for your pets to deal with new situations, big or small.
Amongst many things that you can physically do to train your pet for the new changes, one of the easiest things to do is to get it some of our herbal supplements.
Our herbal supplements include ingredients like black cohosh root and wood betony herb that naturally calms the nervous system and reduces anxiety, making it easier for your pet to accept new changes. These herbal supplements are scientifically formulated and contain no chemicals or artificial flavours. in any stressful situation, they will soothe your pet, reduce aggression and help you introduce any new changes you need to. Over time, once your dog or cat has adjusted to the new lifestyle you have made for it, you can stop giving these herbs to it and continue with your daily dose of love.
Here are some uncomfortable new situations we can help your pets with. Here’s how you can embrace the new:
1. Moving with your dog or cat
Moving is a hassle as it is. And when along with that you have a little furball of energy to manage, it can get quite stressful.
- 6 weeks before your moving process, get your pet adjusted to defecating according to your travel schedule, and get accustomed to the vehicle, long drives and the crate if you will be using one.
- Don’t buy any new beds, clothing or toys in this period. Let your pet create it’s little world by owning its belongings and take them along with you to the new place to comfort it with the familiar smell.
- Do not make any dietary changes either. You want your pet to follow a set routine of food, water, pooping and peeing.
- 2 weeks before you have to move, get your pet started with our herbal supplement and continue offering these, during the course of moving and settling down in the new place.
- Here are some more tips for traveling with your pet and moving places.
2. Change of routine due to new work timings
- Any changes to your timings should be introduced gradually. Try to start increasing your time apart, a little at a time and then gradually move over to the new routine.
- Make sure that your pet’s eating and pooping schedule is also changed gradually. Calculate the gaps between meals, toilet timings, walks and playtimes. Irrespectively, maintain the same gaps even if it means adapting to a night shift. For instance, if you were giving you pet its first meal of the day after a gap of 10 hours at 8 AM and then a walk around 9 AM then the timings might change but the hourly gaps should remain the same.
- Start mixing our herbal stress relief supplement to your pet’s food 1 week prior to the change and continue till a routine is perfectly set.
3. Introducing your pet to a baby
- Get your pet used to being off the bed and the couch when asked to. If there are any toys that cause aggression in your pet, please dispose them.
- Before bringing home the baby, bring home some of the baby’s clothes and probably a new toy and some treats for your pet. So that the dog or cat relates the baby’s smell to good things.
- Once the baby is home, make sure you don’t forget the pet and give it the same time you used to before. Gradually your pet will understand and won’t mind if sometimes you are unable to meet the routine requirements.
- Put your pet on a diet of our herbal stress relief supplements at least 2 weeks before the baby is due to come home and continue till the dog, cat and baby are comfortable, even in your absence.
4. Introducing your old pet to a new pet
This is quite similar to introducing your pet to a baby.
- Make sure that your old pet doesn’t get any less attention and is given its own toys, tasks and snacks to stay busy with. Follow the basic steps that we have mentioned in the previous point.
- If your new pet is coming from a stressed background itself, like a shelter or a troubled past life, then you should give stress relief supplement to both, the new pet and the old pet. This will reduce any aggression that the two might show towards each other and make it easier for you to handle the situation.
5. Recovering from the separation from a loved one
It’s difficult to make your pet understand why they can’t see your kids around who have moved to another city, or what happened to their fur sibling who you had to put down since it was time. Sometimes even a small situation like you spending too much time at work can lead to separation anxiety in your pet, especially in dogs.
- Help your pet by keeping it busy with puzzles and tricks that take efforts. Like hunting for hidden treats or toys.
- Try to spend quality time with your pet whenever you get the chance.
- In the time that you have together, get your pet a lot of exercise so that it is too tired to stress over anything else later.
- If there is any way of filling the void, like getting another pet or a friendly housemate or pet-sitter, that would be great!
- Separation anxiety calls for external help in the form of supplements. And our herbal supplements work the best.
6. Facing new changes in the body due to old age
Older dogs and cats often face joint troubles and difficulty in keeping up with your active lifestyle. You expect them to jump and hop around like they always did and they sure want to. But their painful and inflamed joints come in the way. These are new developments for both of you. Don’t give up.
Our hip and joint supplements for dogs and for cats are specially designed to help your older pets, your senior cats and dogs, move freely and cope naturally.
There you go. Every new situation or unexpected change or unavoidable circumstances can be handled. As long as you choose love, everything will be okay. Because that’s what we chose when we created petrapeutics® – herbal supplements for happier and healthier cats and dogs. 🙂 And that’s why we encourage all pet parents to always #EmbraceTheNew